Saturday, November 19, 2011

Are there any figure skating tricks that I can teach myself?

I'm planning to try and apply some of those things on rollerblades... At first I thought about taking some figure skating lessons, but I'm not planning to become an ice skater, compete or anything. Also, I think I'm too old, and I don't really have the time or the money. Looking for figure in-line skating instructors [or something] is not an option, because there aren't any here.|||Hey, you can just take lessons for the fun of it. I know I'll probably never be able to do a triple axel- I'll be lucky if I land any triple- but I skate anyway and once in a while I'll enter a small competition. Group lessons, or Learn-to-skate lessons, really don't cost that much, especially when compared to private lessons. And they're usually once a week, so that's only one or two hours out of your day once a week. And you didn't say how old you were, but I started at 12, and I've been teaching my 40+ mother how to ice skate, too. I've heard stories of 52 year olds landing single axels.


Rollerskating has all the same movements as figure skating (because they copied us) but I don't know how to teach somebody to do anything on rollerblades, because the wheels are different from blades.|||You should do a few searches on youtube. There's a lot of how-to videos from expertvillage and others on how to do various tricks like hydroblades, swizzles, etc that you could easily teach yourself. Especially hydroblades and various spirals (normal, bielman, fan, bauer etc) transfer onto rollerblades extremely easily. There's also a lot of roller skating how-to videos on youtube.





I do both skating and snow-white rollerblading and mostly anything dependant on "edges" on ice will transfer well into rollerblading (so this includes most beginner stuff), the real problem is of course ice is not asphalt. You can't do a lunge (asphalt doesn't glide, unlike ice) and spinning is also a problem if you want to do it on one foot - a two-foot spin is fairly easily done on rollers.





I'll second the call for group lessons though. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment