Thursday, November 24, 2011

How do I chill out before a figure skating competition? Any tips?

I am SO nervous in a figure skating competition! Therefore I always pop of freak out during competition. Got any chill tips? Anyone?


Thanks|||Don't be nervous - remember that you are prepared, and that this is just an opportunity to show people how awesome you are at skating! :)





Some of the things I do to relax before I take the ice to compete are to listen to music (it can be really helpful to have your program on a mix of other music that gets you relaxed and ready, so you can walk it through before you actually skate it), slowly warm up off ice in a quiet spot, and to mentally visualize a really good skate.





Otherwise, do everything you can to have your things prepared and ready to go, so there's no additional stress the day of. Get your bag packed and your dress ready ahead of time. Polish your skates. Make sure everything is in order so you don't have to scramble, and can take your time on the actual day of your event.





Arrive at the rink early for your event, too! It makes a big difference for me to not feel like I'm rushing once I get there.





Remember that you have practiced hard, and are prepared. Don't worry about the judges or the scores, just worry about skating the best you can, and leave it at that. Remember to breathe!





Good luck with your competition, I hope that you skate well and enjoy yourself!|||Take several deep breaths when the nerves really hit.


Be organized before. Know your routine and don't keep changing it on days before and check double check and treble check your kit before you leave and when you get there. Then you won't be thinking have i got this that and whatever. You will know.





Also the big one for me is avoiding the types of people who giggle about how nervous they are. Or ask if you are nervous. If your not with them you don't need to think about it. if you are then you will constantly think about nerves.|||I have the same problem, its hard because it can affect your skating!





Take a few deep breaths and envision yourself doing your program flawlessly. You could also listen to music.


Don't watch the other skaters! Have your coach stretch you or something while the other people skate their program. It's perfectly okay.


During your warm up, shake off all the nerves, imagine your warm-up lap as a victory lap, and practice your program once through.





Remember to have fun!|||dont be nerves even if you muck up they will still chear for you, i had a comp yesterday and came 4th out of 12 i was sooo happy i forgot that i had been nerves and now i want to do it again. What i did is


1 got a lucozade and got really HYPER!!!!!!!! helps trust me !!!!!


2. listened to my ipod and watched some contestants( this helpes cause you see what the others are doing !!!!)


3. Just smile if you sdo this the judges will be fooled and give you extra presentation marks whereas if you show your nerves they wont give you pres marks. Just relax back your stuff before hand and get there early so you wont be paniking. Just enjoy it





ITS NOT ABOUT THE WINNING ITS THE TAKING PART THAT COUNTS, ITS FOR THE EXPIRIENCE!!!!!!!!!!\





good luck|||i had the same problem


i found i was only nervous when there where things in my head


so to cure this i would sit in the park and get all of my emotions out


so my head would be clear for the comp


Gluck :)|||Just about everyone does, so don't feel like you're alone. I always listen to some upbeat music and create my own bubble. Not talking and forcing myself not to think tends to help me. If that doesn't work for you - because everyone is different - sometimes talking with friends to take your mind off of everything works. My friends and I make little jokes to help remind us to do things or take the nerves off a bit (like trying to picture the judges skating then remembering how much better you are then them).





Competition is no different then when you run through a practice. It's the same thing and what happens happens. Have fun, you're the star.

No comments:

Post a Comment