Thursday, November 24, 2011

What to wear to my first figure skating lessons?

I'm going to my first figure skating lesson in a few days. What should I wear to it? A lot of people wear leggings, but I'm afraid I'll get too cold in them. I usually just wear jeans to a public session, but obviously I can't wear that during lessons. I've got some blue sweatpants, will that work?





Also, what should I expect at my first lesson? I know how to skate forward, but that's about it. Thanks for your help. :)|||figure skates would be a good start|||Definitely don't wear jeans, even to a public skate session.





Leggings are great to wear; just wear tights or long socks underneath (don't have bare feet in skates, unless you don't mind getting cold). You shouldn't get cold wearing leggings because you'll be moving around. You may also want to wear rain or wind pants (like this: http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/WomensClot鈥?/a> Just not heavyweight; you can find them at any camping supply store), because you'll be learning how to fall down and get up, and all that sitting on the ice can make your legs wet and cold.





After the first few lessons, when you've tried out different things, you'll know exactly what to wear. Everyone likes to dress differently, depending on what they're comfortable in.





Good luck and have fun!|||Hi!


I started figure skating last year.. I was 13 at the time, So i was a little late xD


But, When you go skating you want to dress warm.. and when you walk into the rink area it will be cold


But as you start moving on the ice your body temp. will go up, so what you want to wear is leggings under your sweats.. so if you get hot you take off the sweats.. same with the top.. wear a tank, then a long sleeve, then a jacket or hoodie...


What to expect -


Well basically you should expect a lot of younger kids in your class... You will first learn how to fall and stand up (off ice first) Then you will go on, you will learn how to go forward by marching and maybe how to stop.. By shaving the ice with your edges.. Im assuming your a bit older and have hand eye coordination so you will move onto the next level faster then the younger kids.. I did :)|||Try to be as comfy as possible! What I wore when I was beginning was sweat pants with long socks, knee highs would be good. No no-show socks, those are way too short. I would also wear long sleeves and bring a jacket, try not to bring a sweatshirt because its easier to skate with form fitting clothing. Also I would wear gloves to keep your hands from being cold. Hope this helps!|||Leggings are fine! And i dont think you will get cold! Sweatpants will be fine, because they will show you legg line.


Your first lesson you will learn how to skate forwards in the correct position and also using your arms, you will also learn how to fall to the ice and how to get back up again. ( this may have changed).


I hope i have helped!





Ps Have a great time!!|||Leggings will be fine. You won't get cold because you'll be moving around. If you're worried, you could wear tights underneath.





(You should never wear jeans, even just to a public session.)





At your first lesson you'll probably practice correct technique for skating forward, how to fall and get up properly and so on.|||if its your first lesson its not a big deal. you wont be doing anything intense because its only your first lesson. i recomend a pair of tights and skating pant or leggings. the only problem with sweatpants is that they will get wet easily and then you get cold|||Yes, that's perfect! If you don't want to wear a jacket/north face, try wearing a long sleeved shirt along with that! Don't worry about what you wear, just HAVE FUN!!!!! Hope I helped! (:|||My goodness, im so excited for you :) Never wear jeans though, never, not even during a public session. If you wear the sweatpants and you fall, which you would probably be doing a lot, they'll get wet and you will be frozen. I'd wear tights (skin colored skating tights) under the leggings. I do that and i'm in Pre-Preliminary. Also, wear thick socks or skating socks, or regular socks that go even a little past your ankle. Wear a sweater over a tank top or a long-sleeved shirt, but i wear a tank top by itself without anything else when i skate because it doesn't cover my arms, and therefore my arms do not get sloppy with my skating. It doesn't get that cold after a while, truuust meee. You warm up to it. But since its your first time, a long sleeve or sweater might be good. Also, MUST have gloves; they are essential even to me now.





You should expect:


-Learning to balance better on the ice. As you can skate forward, they will try to polish that up even more, and then teach you how to stop one way, (there are 4 ways to stop) and maybe swizzles, and later on how to glide on one foot, probably. They'll teach you how to go backwards with the swizzles, also. :) Have lots of fun! Remember, that's the important part. They will also teach you how to fall without getting hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment