Thursday, November 24, 2011

Does it matter if figure skates are used for recreational skating?

i mean, both have toe picks, etc, just the figure skating has more padding.





if i only skated 4 hours total, I should start with the recreational or figure skates?|||An old pair of figure skates would be great for recreational skating. They're sturdy and warm, lol.





However, recreational skates aren't good for figure skating. What you think is "padding" is really hiding the extra support figure skates provide. That support lets us ride on single edges and execute turns, jumps and spins without straining our ankles and feet.





If you're not going to do turns, jumps and spins, pond or recreational skates are fine.


If you're going to take skating lessons, use figure skates, even if you're a beginner. They help you learn faster.|||You can absolutely use figure skates for recreational skating. In fact, it will probably make you a better skater. Recreational skates tend to have less support, especially in the ankles. You will find that having your own pair of skates will make a huge difference in your abilities. However, skates are expensive, so make sure that you are invested enough in the sport to spend the cash on a pair of skates. If you are just beginning and aren't sure whether you want to continue, rental skates should be fine. It really depends on how committed you are. Good luck!|||Do you mean recreational as in clinging to the wall and going in circles for an hour or two and calling it skating? Or like skating and competing and stuff, but just not super-competitive or USFSA? For the first, it doesn't really matter what you wear, I guess. Figure skates have bigger toe-picks and are probably stiffer than hockey skates in general, but rentals will be such a low level and so broken down that it shouldn't really matter (I couldn't say for sure...I've never worn hockey skates in my life). There are also these things called SofTecs that look pretty nifty, for recreational skaters. They're a mix of a figure skate and a hockey skate, I guess, and it's all padded and stuff.





If you meant the latter, of course you need a pair of figure skates! You don't neccessarily need a high FS, $600 pair - and that's just the boots, not the blades! - but get a decent pair for your level. Actually, a bit above your level is probably good because then you won't be buying new skates as often and having to break them in, etc... I'm working on the consistency of my Axels and on my double Sal, but I've got high-level FS boots (on my coach's recommendation). I love them! Even though all the people at the figure skating shop whined at me that it's "too much boot", I think it was the right choice. They've lasted close to a year, now, and are very supportive. I don't feel like my ankle is going to collapse if my foot leaves the ice. :P|||Figure skates are expensive, but mine were totally worth it. For you, I'm not sure though, because I'm a figure skater. They will definately help you better, but it might not be worth it to spend 100-200 on figure skates when your just gonna do it recreationally. If you believe that you will continue skating more advanced, I would just get figure skates. But if your not sure, I would start off with cheap recreational ones.|||You can definatley use figure skates for recreational skating. You might even be better off skating with figure skates. You'll need to break them in first though and you'll probably see lots of blisters but once there broken out, you'll be fine. Good LucK!|||I just skate for fun and use figure skates. At first the toe pick kept tripping me, but now I don't know how I could skate without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment