Saturday, November 19, 2011

If your a ballerina and starting off late at figure skating will you excel quicker or be better?

I have been doing ballet for 8 years and now want to start figure skating. But I understand 13 is a little old. I am flexible and have the drive and hunger for it. And will be willing to do more to catch up with the other girls. It would be helpful if coaches or skaters answered. Thank you!|||I'm the same as you! I danced for 6 years (not as good as you ;]) and this year, I developed a passion for figure skating. I'm an Intermediate now and I love figure skating. (I'm 13 also)





1. Many kids start at a young age and are already in high levels when they are young. I get ridiculed sometimes when I'm on the ice since I'm one of the oldest but suckies. But don't let them degrade you! If you have the drive and hunger for it, go for it. Do what you desire and don't care about what others think. Just keep practicing and it'll help a lot (trust me).





2. We're older. We understand more. When some kids are young, they don't completely understand what their coach is trying to teach them. But for us, learning the skills may be easier. Especially for you, since you do ballet. From my personal experience, if you know ballet skills, it helps A LOT for figure skating.





3. I'm sure you're waaay more flexible than I am. But figure skating doesn't only require flexibilty. You also need stability. You should also practice spinning so that you won't get dizzy the first time you do spin on ice.





I'm confident you'll do really well. And I'm sure you'll catch up with the other girls. Even if you don't and it seems like you're trailing a lot behind. DON'T GIVE UP. It takes time to warm up to figure skating and who knows? You might turn out really good some day.





=]|||I think your ballet background would def. help you. You may have an easier time learning and learn quicker. As long as you work hard, you will have a chance to become quite good.|||For a figure skater, thirteen is late but not deadly. If you try very hard, you might be able to make it! Go for it! And your ballet background would be sure to help you.|||13 is not too late to start skating in my opinion. And the fact that you do ballet is definitely a plus as they involve many of the same elements. Good luck!|||yeah! it will def help you! i mean, i took ballet for like 5 years before i started skating and it just helped me do spirals and stuff. the fleibility will really helpful and the will to do that crazy **** skating stuff is good! cause i mean, w/out pushing yourself, you'll get nowhere! so i really think you'll have a bright future in figure skating.

No comments:

Post a Comment