Saturday, November 19, 2011

How can I stop my figure skates from coming loose while skating?

I have been figure skating for almost 13 years, but lately my skates won't stay done up tight during practice. I even have calluses and blisters on my hands from pulling too tight, but i still can't get them tight enough. Any ideas on what I can do? I need help! Its driving me crazy!|||i asked my coach that question because mine always get loose and she said it was the laces and that i needed to get new ones. so i did and now they always stay tight:]] so thats what i would suggest. but make sure you find the longest laces there are and if they are too long you can just cut them.|||If they're new skates, plan on retying your skates every 30 minutes or so. The new laces tend to stretch as you wear them. Eventually, they'll hold tightly.





If they're old skates, replace your laces. As laces stretch and wear out, they don't hold the skates tight. I replace my laces yearly. The callouses and blisters come from nylon laces. The cotton/poly blends are much easier on the hands and they hold the skates tight longer during skating.





Switch to a pair of new cotton-poly laces. All-cotton laces are also very good, but they're hard to find and they're thicker than the other blends. Using thicker laces means the eyelet holes get stretched, so many people don't like to use them.





When you lace up, tight a half-knot above the eyelets before lacing up the hooks. If the top comes undone, the half-knot will save you from having to retie all the way down the skate.





Have fun!|||Well, you could try new laces. If that doesn't work, then I would suggest looking for new skates, riedell has a great new design that stops tongue rotation, which, it sounds like that's your problem. It looks like a cross on the front of your boot, but it like holds on to the laces or something so that it doesn't twist. You also, may have lace bite. This is where the laces are leaving marks in the boot, in that case, you can slip a little pad on the front of your ankle, or get new skates, which is last resort of course. the riedell site is www.riedellskates.com You can search for your level skates in this bar, and probably all of the skates that come up will have the tongue blocker. Again, it looks like a cross on your skates, and is really helpful! I hope this helped!|||I know how you feel... While I'm skating the tongue of the skate goes to the side and it doesn't feel so tight as from how I'm usually tieing it. I suggest at the end tieing the laces 2x so it doesnt come undone. Pull as hard as you can, they also sell lace tiers to make it tighter without hurting your hand so much. They sell it in stores where you can buy skates like Modells. Heres a similar question like yours, http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?鈥?/a>





Answer my questions?|||you might need new boots with more support in the ankle area. my boots are Jackson Elite and i love them :) they are comfy (cant say that all the time can you?!) and give awesome support because im doing triples now and need that.





also you know what a skate key is? its like this silver thing and has a hook on the end. you can use that you help tighten ur skates. you can prob. order them online or at ur pro shop.





when you are tieing ur skates triple knot them!! haha sounds weird i know, but it helps keep mine tight. when ur llacing them up and are getting ready to tie the tops pull hard then make the knot and then do it like 2 more times.





you can also hook the "loops" of the bow around the little bracket on the ankles of ur skates. that helps keep mine tight and keeps the loose ends from getting in my way.





hope this helps!!|||That used to happen to me aaaall the time! I still get little blister-y callus-y thingies on my hands, even though my skates mostly stay put now. Make sure you pull the front by the toe plently tight (don't forget it!) and I also like to double tie the laces at the top of the tongue. If nothing else, maybe your skates don't fit right...?|||buy new laces. and i heard that you aren't supposed to tie your skates tighter than you can tie yourself.|||you should tape your skates, just get some tape i think my friend uses that white tape that has find of a fabrice feel but she tales her skates because they are broken down|||I think you've probably broken down your skates. Have you had them for longer than a year and a half?|||Like someone else said, this happens when your laces are old and worn.

No comments:

Post a Comment