Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Do you need to have dancing experience to be good at figure skating?

I'm really thinking about taking figure skating lessons, but I'm worried that I won't be good at it. I don't have any dancing experience at all. I took gymnastics, but that was quite a long time ago. Will I be bad if I haven't danced before? Thanks in advance! ^^|||Absolutely not. I'm a hopeless dancer, but I'm a decent skater and have picked it up fairly fast.





The only advantages dancers really have is that they already have decent strength, grace and flexibility. The rest of us have to work to achieve that :)|||No. I took a pointless year of dance when I was 6, I did gymnastics for a pointless year (I could barely even do a cartwheel when I quit..) and then I started skating. No dance required. Most elite figure skaters take a ballet or yoga class, but its not required by any means. That's like asking, do I need to know how to swim to do cross country running? No, but it might help with endurance at some point.|||Dance is good, but actually it isn't important. Dancing and skating are completely different the only way dancing helps is so you know your balance and grace.


You won't be bad if you have no experience in dance.|||Uh, seriously?





If dancing experience was a pre-requisite, I would never have got on the ice at all. I can't dance to save my life, but I sure can skate.|||not at all! i know tons of great skaters who have never danced in their lives. i bet the gymnastics might help though (but by no means is it necessary!)|||im a good dancer and i started ice skating and found out it doesn't help at all|||yes. that's like asking " do I need to learn how to jog first before I run?

No comments:

Post a Comment