Friday, December 2, 2011

How long does it take to become a figure skating coach?

Hi, i live in the UK and i was just wondering how long it takes to become a figure skating coach. I have looked at everything... even scholarships in figure skating! And also, what do you have to do to become a NCCP qualified coach? Are there any required elements or things like that?





Thanks :) x|||The UK and Canada have much stricter requirements for skating coaches than the US. I'm not sure what "NCCP" is, but SkateUK is affiliated with NISA. Every coach has to attend seminars, take certification tests, and student-teach, I believe.





You have to pass the Level 1 - Assistant Coach course first. http://www.iceskating.org.uk/node/51


Then the Level 2 - Coach course. http://www.iceskating.org.uk/node/52





There are pre-requisites and other requirements, so check to make sure you meet the qualifications before applying.|||I really don't know what the differences are between coaching in the UK and the US... but I'll tell you what I've done in the US. First, I skated myself for about 5 years, learning technique and passing tests, doing competitions and shows and all that jazz. Then I coached Learn-to-Skate for 4 years (my rink requires you coach LTS for at least 2 years before you're allowed to coach private lessons), and I've been coaching private lessons for a year. Your rink might have different requirements, there are some other rinks in Utah that don't have the 2 year requirement, but you'll find that most of the legitimate rinks will have some standards they require their coaches to meet. Does that help?

No comments:

Post a Comment