Tuesday, December 6, 2011

How do I tell my figure skating coach I'm quitting?

I decided last week I'm quitting figure skating because I'm not having fun anymore and I'm not improving. I'm not sure how to tell my coach and she keeps asking me for my schedule so she can put in fall private lessons for me. Any tips on how to tell her?|||I don't think you should quit. I thought about quitting fairly recently, but then I thought about why I started skating in the first place. You aren't enjoying it because you haven't been improving. If it were easy everyone would do it. I would give it a few more lessons. If you really decide you don't like it, I would just say, "I feel like I'm not enjoying the sport anymore. I am going to take some time off, and I may even quit. I'll call you if I decide to pick skating back up again." Who knows? Maybe after a month or two (or even less time) you'll decide that quitting was one of the worst decisions you ever made and you want to pick it back up again. Anything you decide to do is going to be hard at one point, but in the end it will be soooooo worth it. I quit a lot of things like ballet, soccer, tennis, swimming, etc. and I REALLY regret it. Don't make the same mistake I did.|||I see "not having fun anymore" as being a DIRECT result of "not improving".





Perhaps, instead of taking the easy road, the coward's road, and quitting, you should start to examine WHY you're not improving. What is it that's not improving? Is there a single element holding you back, or multiple? Are you practicing enough for what you're trying to achieve? Are your practice sessions worthwhile - do you go to the rink and practice hard, or do you spend the session talking to people? How do you deal with the lack of improvement? Do you just get frustrated, or do you try to work it out? Do you learn other things to help?





I was stuck on the same Aussie Skate (yes, our learn-to-skate) level for FOUR MONTHS because of ONE element. I never even considered quitting even though some days I left the ice in tears because I just couldn't get it. I analysed it a thousand different ways, I practiced and practiced. Some days, just nothing but that element for over an hour. And slowly, so slowly I didn't even notice at the time, I was improving.





One tactic my coach tried with me was, when she could sense I was getting frustrated with that element, she would change tack and teach me something new, something from the level above. I loved that. Maybe it could be an option for you too.





Just don't be so quick to quit. It's easy to say "it's too hard". It's hard to say, "I'll stick it out". But those who stick it out end up much better off than those who quit the moment it gets difficult.





Figure skating is hard. Everyone has plateaus, and it sounds like you've hit yours. It won't last forever. Stick it out, and you'll be glad you did.|||i don't think you should quit.. trust me, you'll regret it sooner or later.





your not having fun anymore because your not improving. but have you ever just tried skating for fun? and not going skating JUST to practice..





i think your looking at how far you have to go, rather than how far you've come..








for the last 6 months i've been stuck in the same level, but you know what? i keep trying and trying.. and i FINALLY am moving to the next level!|||say something likee, "what with school and everything, i think i need to take some time off from skating. thanks for everything you've done for me, and if i decide it's time to return, i'll definitely let you know." then if she asks more questions just tell her all the funs gone and you're not improving. getting her a little gift helps also, and don't forget to thank her and wish her good luck!|||don't quit, just get yourself interested in a different firld, like synchronized skating, which is with a whole team and WAY more fun/. tell her you would like to do that, and still keep up lessons to improve your individual skills to make the team.|||just say you're taking a break, you need to focus on other things, don't have the time/resources, etc. say you are grateful to her and had fun/learned a lot from her, and you're sad to leave, but ultimately it's your decision. remember, skaters quit/switch coaches all the time. she will understand that it's not personal.|||I would go talk to your coach first. I mean, you say you're not having fun any more, but you used to have fun, right? Maybe you just need some time off.





Do do it soon, though. Your coach's income depends on not having a schedule full of holes where she isn't getting paid.|||Just say you would like to take some time off, maybe the whole season.


But don't tell her your quitting just yet until you take your time off because you never know, you can want to do it again. She'll understand.|||ask her to talk one day after alesson/practice and just tell her what you said on here... that youre not having fun anymore and you dont want your parents spending all that money on something you dont love... she will understand|||like this


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkcoobYUu鈥?/a>|||"I'm not having fun any more, and I thought I would take a break for a couple of months to see how I feel".|||" I'm quitting"

No comments:

Post a Comment