Tuesday, December 6, 2011

How can I go figure skating?

I want to start figure skating, and have for a long time, but I am still looking. Where can I go and how can I convince my parents to take me when I already do another sport? I live in Tucson.|||I gave you contact information the last three times you asked this question - you should follow up on it since you really do need some local guidance.





Unfortunately, Tucson Ice closed unexpectedly, leaving Tucson without an ice rink. There are plans for a municipal rink, but it's still in the planning stages. The figure skating and hockey programs were using a convention center for ice time. You have to contact the Tucson Figure Skating Club to ask if they're still skating as a club. Their website is out of date and the Tucson Ice Sports consortium info also seems to be dated, with nothing current from the skating club. It's possible that the Club folded or that they are traveling elsewhere, but they're the people to ask, not internet strangers who don't live in Tucson, AZ.





You need to take responsibility now with your parents and demonstrate that you are capable of handling the travel and the training. Help keep the house neat and clean, help with chores and projects, save your money, and do well in school. Doesn't take much more than that.





If you follow up with the local skating community, you can find out more about skating programs and discuss it with your parents.





However, since you already do another sport, finances and time are an issue. If you're also involved with school activities, music/dance lessons, etc., this might not be an option for you. Wait until you're ready for college, then start skating. Lots of people do that quite successfully.|||You can just do one lesson a week, or go public skating to see if you like it. (Don't let crappy rental skates turn you off skating.)





Then eventually, you'll choose what sport to do. It's not really feasible to do two sports when one of them is ice skating, just because skating is so expensive. I would imagine there'd be a rink somewhere in Tucson. Can you pay for a few lessons yourself, or do extra chores?





Edit~ when I got Mom to take me to the rink a second time per week, she said she would if I cleaned the house so as to make time for her to drive me every Saturday and Thursday.

No comments:

Post a Comment