Tuesday, December 6, 2011

What is a good figure skating diet?

I have been figure skating for 3 years now, and would like to find a good diet and exercise routine. Are there any exercises that are good for developing key muscles used in skating? Any good foods?|||foods: lean protein like baked chicken, fruits (apples are great snacks if you need a little boost before skating), whole grains, vegetables (though I must admit I am bad about this one), low-fat milk/yogurt, basically following the basic food pyramid guidelines.





Here is my exercise routine:


-weight lifting twice a week (arms, legs, and core)


-off-ice 6 times a week: skating jumps, push-ups, wall sit, side/regular crunches, ankle strengthening with resistance band (write the alphabet using only ankle), other ab exercises: 1. Lie on back and pull into V position 2. Lie on back and pull knees and chest together


-cardio 6 times a week: I like running on machines or in my neighborhood, but find something you like.


-dance: ballet, pointe, and jazz


-stretching: best done right after cardio when the muscles are warm


-of course, skating itself is good for developing key muscles


*mind you, I do not always succeed in completing all of this exercise, especially during the school year, but I just do whatever I can.|||You're going to want to read "Conditioning for figure skating: off-ice techniques for on-ice performance". It deals exactly with this kind of stuff.





Putting it briefly though, food for figure skaters is much the same as it is for all sporters. Carbohydrates before the training, water during, readily-accessible proteins about half an hour after; resting days to allow your muscles to build in between trainings, and understanding that muscle memory slows down in building after an hour and almost completely stops after 2 goes a long way. For more details, like I said, that book is excellent, I have it too.|||Lots of protein, veggies and fruits





carbs before skating and a little sugar after





key muscles for skating: STOMACH. Do every single thing you can for your abs, do some squats for your legs, make sure you do cardio everyday for about 30 minutes and do some arm curls or something like that.|||Im in juniors going into seniors and im vegan so i cant really eat junk food anyways but just cut out the extra bag of popcorn and replace it with organic applesauce or something. But I work out/do off ice half the time im at the rink. And Bench pressing/Tredmills have done wonders for my legs. But yeah you should probablymaintain a good weight for Ice skating, Have you ever heard of a fat figure skating olympian? Not to my knowlege.

No comments:

Post a Comment