Tuesday, December 6, 2011

What does it feel like to jump in figure skating?

I'm just curious as to what it feels like when your jumping in figure skating. I will soon start jumps, so I was wondering what it feels like to be in the air. Just tell me what you feel when your in a jump and also what it feels like when you land the jump. Thanks a bunch. :)|||you may find it fun, or scary, or exhilarating, or any other feeling. Just starting, you won't be jumping very high, so don't worry. Personally, I don't think in the air--it's not like you're hanging out there for a long time. Remember to hit your landing position immediately after landing, and hold it for a few seconds. Don't worry about falling, it probably won't hurt and it's just another part of skating--you can't improve without falls. Good luck and have fun!|||Well, with single jumps, I'm hardly in the air long enough, but on my doubles, its the best feeling. Especially to land a new jump for the first time, that's even better. I love jumping, I'll easily spend 45 minutes of an hour long session on jumps. It feels effortless to jump when I land the jump cleanly, but it feels like a lot of hard work when I fall or two foot it. Just clean landings make everything better, I guess. It's hard to describe it, but its the best in the world. It feels a little like flying, but it feels more like flying to do a split jump or stag jump, I think the rotation just ruins the flying effect. But its just... amazing! I feel like I'm rattling on and on about the same thing over and over, sorry about that.|||For the smaller jumps (i.e. salchow, toe loop, loop etc.) you don't really feel much as your not in the air very long, for me it wasn't until I started working on flip and lutz that I really felt what a jump felt like - mainly coz they are my highest jumps.





I think it feels great launching yourself off the ice and even better when you land it cleanly - like the other answerers said when you land a jump you've been working so hard on, the feeling is amazing. After spending 12 hours of practise on my lutz, when I finally landed it the feeling was amazing.


I also like the sound when you jumps as well - eg. the sound of your toe-pick hitting the ice, or your blade gripping the ice just before an edge jump.





Basically you can't really get the same feeling jumping off-ice, you don't have the speed or power to jump like on ice - well not in the same sense anyway.





Good luck with starting your jumps...I love jumps they're so fun :)|||Honestly? I never have time to think about it. On the harder jumps, I'm concentrating too much on doing the jump properly. On smaller, easier jumps, I'm up and down again before I have time to think about how it feels. I've heard some people say it feels like being weightless, or flying, but I've never felt that myself.|||Most of the time im not concentrating on the feeling in the air, im more focused on actually landing the jump! :) It feels almost as if you're flying,but it doesnt last for very long, unless you're doing...quads i guess. Its a quick moment , no pressure , up, down , lol (:


Good luck with your jumps! xo|||Well as the other person said when you do lower level jumps you are in the air and down too fast to think about, harder jumps you wither think about 2 much to feel it and when you finally land a jump that you've been working on for forever I think it feels like your flying.|||to be honest, most single jumps feel almost the same as doing a jump on the ground but my best jump is my [double] flip, and when i do with A LOT of speed it feels like im doing a really high long jump [track and field] but twisting in the air :P|||Welll when you first land a jump that you've been working on, it feels amazing!! Honestly, you're only off the ground for not even a spilt second, so you don't really feel much. But I suppose if you do a really good jump it feels a little like flying :)|||Well, the first few times I did a perfect waltz jump soon after I learned it, I felt like I was floating, and it was really cool. But it hasn't really happened since, also I focus a lot on having jumps good.|||when you first jump your jump correctly it feels amazing - like you have REALLY achived something!!!! to me it feels like a little bit of fyling! :)|||well I'm working on my lutz, and the ones I've landed feel amazing! Once you get to salchows and toeloops, they feel even better than waltzjumps! And the feeling of flying or whatever just accelorates from there I guess!|||It's a little weird at first. When you land it's kind of hard on your knee joints at first but then you get used to it. I guess it feels sort of like your floating but not really.|||like the best thing in the world.|||I'm just curious as to what it feels like when your jumping in figure skating. I will soon start jumps, so I was wondering what it feels like to be in the air. Just tell me what you feel when your in a jump and also what it feels like when you land the jump.

No comments:

Post a Comment