Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Would figure skating be detrimental to serious ballet training?

I'm a fairly serious ballet dancer currently in a university dance program. Ballet is definitely my top priority, but for years I've thought about taking some basic figure skating lessons just for fun and a change of pace. I wouldn't want to get into anything too advanced (like jumping) for fear of injury, but would just basic skating be harmful in terms of developing the wrong muscles? I've heard that it can bulk up your quads a bit, so I was wondering if anyone had any advice. Thanks!|||Skating will be fine - you will use your muscles in different ways than dance and you may be stiff and sore at first. Next, bend at the knees and waist - 2 big no-nos in ballet....Good Luck and try not to fall.|||I'm sure if you take some basic lessons, it will not hurt you. Afterwards, you will probably only have time to occasionally go figure skating so do not see that as harmful in any way. I think, it would be an excellant idea, since it is something you are interested in or curious about. Try it now, while you still can as you do not want regrets.|||Yes it can bulk up the quads, but the biggest problem for ballet dancers is the posture. To balance on skates, you have to stick your butt out!





I used to go skating with my sister (who did figure skating) and was constantly falling, because as soon as I got moving at speed, I'd straighten into my ballet posture and wham! I'd fall over backwards.





So I'd be concerned that if you did enough classes to get used to the posture, it might affect your posture in ballet.





Sirena


http://shoespointe.com|||If you look at the top women skaters on the Olympics, you'll see just how bulky they aren't :) Those are people who train skating eight hours a day. A couple of hours a week won't do anything.





To be honest you're far more likely to get injured just skating around than doing jumps. I don't think avoiding jumps would have any point to it, though it would be months at the least until you got that far anyway. It's very different from ballet, though. My daughter's teacher says she can always spot ballet dancers on the ice, because their top half looks great but they try to skate with their knees straight :)|||Because you know so much ballet, ice skating will probably be easier and you will have the strength and poise needed to excel at it. Go for it and good luck :]











http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment